Thursday, November 21, 2013

Hunger Games Catching Fire Movie Review



Just got back from seeing Catching Fire! 


 Bubba and Sissy finally talked me into letting them read the series this year and wanted to see the new movie also.  I was nervous because there are several places in the book where it says things like 'she swore out loud' or 'he cursed'.

Would they actually say it in the movie?


And then there is the fact that there are a couple more sensual scenes, no love making but some nudity.


Would they show that?


The Hubby and I really looked at the PG 13 rating to see why it was given that rating.  Among the reason it listed, "a suggestive scene" and "language".  We watched several different trailers and were relieved to see that in the one scene Finnick was covered up by way more than a net like it said in the book.  That gave me hope that the rest of the movie would be on the safe side.

So we decided to take the plunge and let them come with us to the premiere. I was very nervous. I was prepared to have to walk out with them if it was too bad.  



Here is my Family Movie Review:


Language : S word, D word, H word and SOB.  The last two were at the very end of the movie.   There was one time when a character 'said' the F word but it was bleeped because it was part of the interview the capital was putting in.  So in essence the capital bleeped it.  

Sex: One female character does undress but you only see this from the shoulders up and it is actually a really funny scene not a sexual one. Finnick is shirtless at one point but you can't even see his belly button because of some costume around his waist. There is some kissing.  Let's say there was less sexual-ness in the movie than there was in the book.  I was so relieved!

Violence:  Well it IS the Hunger Games.  But it isn't too bad.  Not much blood and gore. I don't want to say anymore because I don't want to give anything away.  

Book Compared to Movie: After the 1st movie I swore I wouldn't see the 2nd one.  I thought they did a poor job of encompassing what the Hunger Games were really like.  I felt like Peeta's character was totally miscast and he came out looking like a complete weakling.  But after seeing the previews for Catching Fire and knowing that they had a new director I decided to see it.  So glad I did!! It really captured the emotions this time.  I don't know whether Josh Hutchinson( who plays Peeta) understood the character better this time or if it was in the writing/directing, but Peeta finally seemed like Peeta from the book( Praise God!)-strong, in control, a caretaker.  And Peeta and Katniss actually had some chemistry this time around. They did a great job of sticking pretty close to the book.  We were very pleased.  

So it was a good night.  My mom watched Snuggle Bug, Little Miss and Princess at our house while we were our.  Big shout out to her!!  Thanks mom!

Many Blessings,
The Mama







1 comment:

  1. Nice review. Not as good as the first, but still tense and epic in its own right. Something tells me this next installment is really going to kick it all up a notch.

    ReplyDelete