Monday, November 18, 2013

Storm Damage

Compared to some communities I have nothing to complain about.  There were tornadoes around our area along with much of the midwest yesterday.  We arrived home after a usual Sunday at my in-laws to find the canopy to our gazebo on our back deck shredded.  It was a bummer.

*Ugh, my photos won't load for some reason.  I have pics to share later when I get the issue resolved.*

So this morning when it was light I went out to take pictures and I backed up to get a fuller shot and something in our attic area caught my eye.  We have a walk up attic and few sets of windows up there.  Well one of the panes of glass was missing.

Which makes perfect sense since the attic door was jiggling like crazy last night, which it sometimes does if there is a lot of wind.  We have couple of vents up there so sometimes there is suction, though this was the most it had ever rattled the door.  But I also noticed a horrible draft under the door that I have never  experienced in all of our 6 1/2 years here.  I put a towel down to block the draft and just chalked it up to the 60 mile an hour wind gusts.

So when I saw the missing pane of glass it all made sense.

I woke Bubba up to help me get the window covered.   Sissy and Snuggle Bug helped take care of Little Miss.

I had no idea at what point the window busted and how much glass and rain had come in but expected the worse.

But get this, the entire window pane was sucked OUT.  yep, out, not in.  The glass was all over the roof of our garage underneath it.  Not a shred of glass was in the attic.  Good for clean up but a little scary to think of what might have caused such a phenomena.

Our attic windows are old and I can't see being able to just get the window pane replaced but am praying that it can be done.  Otherwise we are looking at totally replacing those back two windows... $$$.

Again, compared to so many homes that were obliterated in the storms we are very fortunate.  But it still stinks.  Not sure if it will pay to submit a home owners claim.   We'll have to crunch numbers.

Never a dull moment around here =)

Many Blessings,
The Mama

No comments:

Post a Comment